Give Back on Your Big Day
June 3, 2010 § Leave a comment
“Celebrate with us by helping people in need! Who needs another toaster, anyway… and we have two food processors already,” said Mark and Christa when they announced their wedding plans to family and friends. Mark and Christa aren’t unusual; incorporating charitable giving into wedding celebrations is becoming more of a trend.
“As a bonus, unlike buying a toaster for us, your donation to the Food Bank is totally tax-deductible!” says their online giving page. To date, Mark and Christa’s wedding has raised $1,045 and 448 pounds of food, and donations are still coming in.
Whether you donate wedding flowers to a hospice for the terminally ill, or donate your wedding dress for charitable auction, the opportunities to make a difference on your big day are only limited to your imagination. Here are some tips on how you can support the Food Bank in your celebration.
- Wind down your honeymoon with a volunteer shift at the food bank. Make volunteering an annual tradition in celebration of your new life together.
- Make your wedding registry a personal fundraising page like Mark and Christa did, to make it easy for guests to donate online.
- Ask guests to bring a healthy, non-perishable food item to the reception or ceremony. Have one central gathering point for the items so your guests can drop them off easily. When you register your Food & Fund drive online, you can request a special box from us to collect them in.
- Thank your guests by giving a donation on their behalf from our Virtual Gift Catalog.
- Need a decorative piece for your kitchen? Register for the “Round-Up from the Heart” limited edition trivet from the Pampered Chef. All purchases made in the Austin-area will benefit the Capital Area Food Bank.
- Capture special moments with Photography by Mariah Milan and help end hunger in Central Texas at the same time. Receive a free disc of your photographic images by making a monetary donation to the Capital Area Food Bank.
- Thank your bridesmaids and groomsmen with tickets to entertainment or sporting events through Tickets for Charity. Choose Feeding America when purchasing tickets and a portion of the proceeds will benefit the Capital Area Food Bank to help nourish hungry Central Texans.
We’d love to hear your ideas for raising food and funds at weddings or other celebrations.