8 Ways to Tackle Hunger with Souper Bowl of Caring
January 11, 2011 § Leave a comment
It’s that time of the year again – time to join the biggest youth-led food and fund drive in Central Texas. Each year we like to mix it up and encourage more people to participate. Last year, Tyson Foods challenged you to comment on their blog , which triggered a 100-pound food donation.
This year, along with Austin’s competing television networks, radio stations, print publications, grocery stores and other community partners, we’re teaming up with the Boy Scouts of Central Texas to reach our goal of one million meals. We can achieve our goal with fun activities for you online and in your Central Texas community. Here’s how you can get involved:
2. Register your team for MLK Day. When you register online, you’ll receive your monthly e-newsletter and a free Resource Kit to help promote your event.
3. Enter the CAFB Souper Bowl of Caring Blog Contest.
Show off your creative talent by sending us a blog post with a photo gallery or video about your work with Souper Bowl of Caring. Winning entries will be featured on our blog at blog.austinfoodbank.org and on our Facebook page.
You’ll also get a limited edition Hunger is UNacceptable t-shirt and water bottle, as well as a special guided tour of the Food Bank for you and your friends. This is a great opportunity for youth to build their resume, for college applications, and to demonstrate leadership in your community. Click here to enter.
- It must be about Souper Bowl of Caring.
- It must mention our goal of raising 1 million meals.
- It must include the words “Hunger is unacceptable.”
- Videos must be no longer than 3 minutes.
4. Donate online. Take a virtual shopping trip by putting food items into your online shopping cart. Then click “Donate” to donate the cost of those items to the Food Bank. It’s a fun way to help end hunger!
5. Support the “Scouting for Food” Food Drive
The Capitol Area Council Boy Scouts will be conducting a Food and Fund Drive in many areas throughout Central Texas. Scouts will leave door hangers on your door the week of January 22 – 29 and return to pick up non-perishable food items the following Saturday. Your donation will support a Capital Area Food Bank Partner Agency in your community.
On February 5, you’re invited to join us for the 101st anniversary celebration of the Scouting movement at the 62nd annual Boy Scout Parade and Report to the State of Texas in conjunction with the Souper Bowl of Caring. Watch the Boy Scouts State Parade on Congress Avenue where the scouts will collect healthy, non-perishable food donations for our Central Texas neighbors in need.
7. Donate at your local Randalls, H-E-B and Central Market’s
While you’re shopping for snacks for game day, consider sharing a meal with those in need. Purchase pre-packaged bags of most-needed items or look for tear-off coupons in the amounts of $1, $3 and $5 at checkout stands in area Randalls, H-E-B and Central Market grocery stores. Your purchase of a pre-packaged bag at either retailer provides two meals for a family of four.
8. Participate in Souper Bowl of Caring and save on Harlem Globetrotters tickets
The Harlem Globetrotters “4 Times the Fun” World Tour is coming to Austin on Friday, January 28. When you support Souper Bowl of Caring you’ll save $7 on tickets. Learn more.
Thank you, Partners:
HEB, Central Market, Randalls, FOX 7, News 8, KEYE TV, KVUE-TV, TeleFutura, Telemundo, Univision, The CW, My Austin TV, KVET, KASE 101, AM 1300 The Zone, Buena 104.3, La Jefa 107.7, Relevant Radio 970 AM, The Statesman, The Jewish Outlook, Ahora sí, Capitol Area Council Boy Scouts of America, and Harlem Globetrotters.